Popular gossip blogger Edgar Obare is currently doing much better after suffering a near-death experience yesterday at a popular city restaurant, Art Caffe.
His swollen face has gone down, and breathing has improved thanks to Nairobi hospital who came to his aid on time.
“I am doing much better now, my swelling has gone down and I can breathe just fine. My friends keep telling me I have 9 lives.”
Edgar Obare hospitalized
Edgar Obare was yesterday hospitalized after having an allergic reaction to a seafood meal he ate for lunch at Art caffe in Nairobi.
Edgar narrated his unfortunate ordeal on his Instagram account, where he recounted how he almost died as the hotel staff were completely untrained on what to do in such a situation.
View this post on Instagram
So yesterday on my day off I was catching up and having lunch with an old friend at @artcaffekenya Capital Centre, service was very slow there was like only one waiter servicing the upstairs tables. I ordered the prawns tagliatelle. The food came and first bite it was quite delicious, so we are laughing and exchanging stories over the next hour. I finish my meal and suddenly I feel like I have a scratchy throat, then I am tearing up. Now I am struggling to breathe as my nose is blocked and throat is closing up, I have hives all over my neck and it’s itchy. I stand up to go downstairs to the counter to get some water, like I said service was horrible, no waiters in sight. The bar guy asked if I am okay, I said NO and I asked for a bottle of water then went outside on the balcony for some fresh air for like 2 min. It didn’t help, I go to the bathroom and see my face in the mirror is all swollen and my eyes are bloodshot red. I immediately knew I need a hospital, I call my friend we go to the counter and I ask for my bill and pay. All this time the staff is just staring at me, we rush out the door trying to figure out the nearest hospital, we went to Aga khan at Capital Centre and found it was already closed at 4pm, why do hospitals honestly close. It was 4.30pm so we rushed into Naivas to a chemist. From our googling it seems I was having an extreme allergy reaction, they gave me two antihistamine tablets I put under my tongue and advised I should go to a hospital immediately. They googled for us and found Nairobi hospital was close by in the same mall actually and still open. I got injections of chlorpheniramine, hydrocortisone and cotipred and spent the next two hours in a hospital bed. Doctor said I was having an anaphylactic shock and I came very close. Thank you to that Naivas chemist and Nairobi Hospital for saving me. Contd in comments….
According to Edgar, immediately after having his meal, his allergy started acting up where he found himself struggling to breathe, his face was swollen, his eyes were tearing up, and his throat was closing up.
However, none of the staff offered him any help, and they all stood by as he pranced to ask for help elsewhere.
Edgar disclosed that if it were a different person who did not immediately act and rush to the hospital as he did, he/she would probably not have survived.
Edgar Obare’s hospital bill
Thankfully, Art Caffe has offered to foot for Edgar Obare’s entire hospital bill after apologizing for not being prepared to handle the situation.
Art Caffe’s General manager Yarden has embraced the incident as a learning experience and promised to train the staff in all their branches so that such an occurrence will be better managed in the future.
“I am having a food allergy test done in Nairobi Hospital to get to the bottom of what happened. The restaurant is willing to help in any way they can. They will even talk to their Insurance company to settle my hospital bill.”
“Telling this story was not about blaming anyone. I appreciate that ArtCaffe showed willingness to change for the better.”
View this post on Instagram
I am doing much better now, my swelling has gone down, I can breathe just fine. I am still on medication to get rid of whatever caused my allergic reactions. My friends keep telling me I have 9 lives 😂. Thank you all for the support and messages. I had a conversation with the @artcaffekenya General manager Yarden this morning and she was concerned and sincere in taking this as a learning experience for them on how to train their staff to handle such emergencies. She apologised for that experience which I accepted and I am grateful they are willing to work on steps to be better prepared for such emergencies. Admittedly they can’t all get medical training, but minimum first aid care and protocols to handle such cases she said would be rolled out and training of staff in all their branches so that such incidences are better managed in future. I am having a food allergy test done by Nairobi Hospital to get to the bottom of what happened, so I can avoid taking certain things in future and the restaurant was also very willing to list down all ingredients that went into the dish and help in any way they can. They will even talk to their insurance company to settle my hospital bill. This was a unique situation, telling this story was not about blaming anyone. It’s about all of us being better prepared in emergencies. I appreciate that Artcaffe is taking some responsibility and showed willingness to change for the better. Thank you 🙏