Coronavirus poses the greatest threat to people with low immunity. Immunologists from the Polish Academy of Sciences advise what to do to strengthen the body and protect us from infection. One of the recommendations is to eliminate some products from your daily diet.
Coronavirus is very contagious, but it is far from the infectivity of viruses known to mankind for a long time, such as measles and chicken pox virus – we read on the website of the Polish Academy of Sciences. Experts note that the majority of people infected with SARS-CoV-2 do not experience severe symptoms, and COVID-19 disease itself is particularly dangerous for a narrow group of infected.
People who have an extremely high risk of severe complications include those with immunodeficiency. Therefore, the elderly are particularly vulnerable, who due to their age and suffering from various chronic diseases do not have efficient immune systems.
Immunologists from the Polish Academy of Sciences remind you that although there are no drugs and preparations that could protect against infection, you can do so as not to weaken your immune system. – It should be emphasized that there are no drugs that could strengthen human immunity and protect him against infection.
All vitamin preparations, mixtures of minerals and vitamins, natural plant and animal extracts, and in particular homeopathic preparations, which are presented as “immune enhancers”, have no significance for the development of anti-infectious immunity. They have never been shown to support the work of the immune system, and their advertising as preparations that strengthen immunity is a mere scam – write scientists in their study.
– Man has an immune system that can effectively protect us against viruses. It should be emphasized that the immune response begins to develop only after contact with fragments (called antigens) of the virus. Before the entry of viruses into the human body, the number of cells of the immune system (lymphocytes) in the bloodstream is insufficient, and in addition, these lymphocytes are not yet ready for defense – we read in a statement by the Polish Academy of Sciences.
Immunologists pay attention that during this difficult period we take increased action so as not to weaken our immune system. The most important factors that may contribute to its malfunction are:
- excessive and prolonged alcohol consumption, smoking, taking drugs
- chronic sleep deficit
- malnutrition (malnutrition, avitaminosis, but also pathological obesity)
- no physical exertion
Among the recommendations of immunologists from the Polish Academy of Sciences is the transition to a plant diet. Experts pay special attention to the elimination of raw meat and milk from their daily diet. Other tips to help us avoid coronavirus infection are:
- frequent hand washing
- avoiding close contact with people who have a fever and cough
- avoiding contact with animals (especially wild)
- caring for the hygiene of places where meals are prepared
- vaccination against common infectious diseases such as influenza or pneumococcal pneumonia
The authors of the study, which is fully available on the website of the Polish Academy of Sciences are prof. dr hab. n. med. Dominika Nowis prof. dr hab. n. med. Jakub Gołąb from the Medical University of Warsaw.