Canine Mouth (Angular Cheilitis) Is an inflammatory condition that occurs in the corners of the mouth Which will cause a sore mouth Dry and chapped mouth, redness, swelling, and tightness may appear in one or both corners of the mouth. Patients may have symptoms of this disease for a few days or longer. Which depends on the cause that caused the canker
Symptoms of a canker sore
People with a canker sore often experience irritation. Sore mouth and burning pain in the corners of the mouth Which may cause such symptoms in one corner of the mouth or on both sides of the mouth, which may have other symptoms as follows
- Redness and bleeding
- A blister appears to form a wound, and oozing fluid comes out. Or scabs on the corners of the mouth
- Peeling lips, including dryness and cracking, may become tight, causing mouth discomfort.
- Itching and irritation in the corners of the mouth Causing the patient to have difficulty eating food in the event of severe symptoms May result in insufficient nutrition or weight loss.
- Swelling in that area
However, canker sores can develop a fungal infection on the skin. Or a bacterial infection spreading to the skin surrounding the canker sore area
Causes of a canker sore
Most canker sores are caused by fungal infections of the skin. Which is the most common cause The fungus that causes this disease is Candida, which is the same type of infection that causes diaper rash in infants.
- Saliva from licking your mouth Because saliva will accumulate in the corner of the mouth Makes mouth dry and cracked When licking the corners of the mouth that are dry This will cause the fungus in the pre-existing wound to grow and divide more cells. Until leading to infection The patient may develop an inflammation of the lips. Or an allergic rash caused by irritation (Irritant Contact Dermatitis) together with
- Fall angle Because the upper lip straddles the lower lip too much The skin around the mouth hangs down. Due to aging or weight loss Makes a very deep wrinkle in the corner of the mouth
- Mouth infection Patients may have various infections in the mouth where the infection spreads such as bacteria. Oral fungal diseases Or virus from herpes on the lips
- Dry mouth
In addition, people with various health problems are at a high risk of getting a canker sore. The factors that cause the risk of this disease include
- Have oral thrush It usually occurs with babies or the elderly. Including those with diabetes Received corticosteroid drugs Or using antibiotics
- Must wear dentures Because wearing dentures is associated with receding gums. Especially dentures that do not fit the size of the oral cavity.
- Get braces Due to having to wear rubber for braces As a result, saliva overflows, accumulating in the corners of the mouth.
- Have a disease that affects the body’s system Especially the disease with inflammation of the digestive tract (Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD) such as inflammatory bowel disease or Crohn’s disease (Crohn Disease)
- Sensitive skin, such as atopic dermatitis
- Not getting enough nutrients, such as eating too little B vitamins or iron
- Ill suffer from a genetic disorder such as Down Syndrome.
- Taking retinoids such as isotrophetinoin (Isotretinoin) to treat acne Or taking acitretin To treat psoriasis
- Having other illnesses such as anemia, blood cancer or cancer of the kidneys, liver, lungs or pancreas, including HIV and other immune-related diseases.
Diagnosis of the canker
A canker sore patient will be examined by a doctor to diagnose the condition. In which the doctor will examine the patient’s mouth To see if there are scabs, red patches, swelling, or blisters on the mouth In addition, inquiring about symptoms and behaviors of patients that resulted in infection and canker sore throat.
However, inflammation in the corners of the mouth may not be just caused by an infection with a canker sore. But may be caused by other health problems such as herpes on the lips. Or disease of lichen planus (Lichen Planus), the doctor may collect a sample of the infection from the corners of the mouth and nose of the patient and send it to the laboratory. To see if the illness is caused by any type of bacteria or fungus If it is a sparrow The test results of the secretion sample often show that the patient is infected with Candida. Staphylococcus Aureus or Herpes Simplex Virus
Treatment of a canker sore
A canker sore can be treated. The doctor will treat the infected area of the disease. As well as taking care of the dry and cracked areas to prevent infection again, patients will be given medication to treat symptoms according to the type of infection causing the disease, including antifungal treatment. Antibacterial drug treatment And other maintenance as follows
- Antifungal treatment A canker sore patient diagnosed with a fungal infection. Will be treated with antifungal drugs The details are as follows
- Miconazole This drug is used to treat candida and gram positive bacteria. (Gram-Positive Cocci) effectively. Patients should apply myconazole cream to the corners of the mouth where the infection has occurred twice a day. However, people who are using warfarin should not use this medication. Because it may cause a strong resistance to each other. Which results in heavy bleeding
- Nystatin Patients will take this drug to treat fungal infections of the mouth or fungal infections of the mouth or in the digestive tract. The doctor will use the drug 4 times a day, put it in your mouth for a long time before swallowing it. Babies should abstain from food and water for 5-10 minutes after using this drug, the drug will not penetrate into the bloodstream.
- Clotrimazole This drug is used to treat fungal infections, including foot infection, inguinal fungal infection, and ringworm.The drug will break down the fungal cell membrane. Resulting in the death of the fungus
- Ketoconazole However, Ketoconazole is used to treat patients in cases where other drugs are unable to cure their symptoms. Patients are advised to consult with their doctor before using any of these drugs.Ketoconazole may cause liver problems.
- Antibacterial drug treatment Patients with canker sore, which is caused by bacteria. Will receive the said antibiotic Some of the antibacterial drugs used to treat canker sores will be raised as follows:
- Mupirocin This drug is used to treat skin infections. The drug inhibits the production of proteins used to feed bacteria on the skin. Canker sores, infected with impetigo
- Fusidic Acid Cream or ointment type It is a topical antibacterial drug that treats skin infections. They may be used to treat staphylococcus, aureus, and chorine bacteria. (Corynebacterium) This drug is used to treat many skin diseases such as impetigo, folliculitis. A patient with a bacterial canker sore Apply fucidic acid mixture to the infected area as directed by your doctor.
- Other maintenance People with a canker sore can take care of their symptoms with medications or other products that can help alleviate their symptoms as follows.
- Disinfectant solution (Antiseptics) Is a substance used to inhibit the growth of microorganisms outside the body And prevent various infections, the doctor may use an antiseptic to wash the wound on the skin or mucous membranes that have been damaged. To cleanse and reduce infection
- Topical steroid drugs This drug is considered an effective anti-inflammatory drug. Which is used to inhibit the symptoms of dermatitis and other skin problems There are creams, ointments and other forms. Topical steroid medications affect the body’s functions, including anti-inflammatory. Suppress the immune system. However, the patient may experience side effects from drug use. Cushing Syndrome or skin changes may occur in the event of prolonged use of steroid drugs. Which will cause the skin to stretch marks Bleeding and skin tearing easily Enlarged blood vessels
- Moisturizing products A canker sore patient who is not infected with a fungus or bacteria. Will receive lip products to nourish and moisturize the skin They come in a variety of forms, including oils, lotions, creams, and ointments. Moisturizing products help relieve dry mouth and treat skin irritation.
- Other supplements Patients with a canker sore, suffering from malnutrition, gluten intolerance, iron deficiency or vitamin B2 deficiency should take supplements or vitamin supplements. To help maintain adequate nutrients for the body
Prevention of a sparrow
Canker sore can be prevented. Starting from taking care of yourself not to have any health problems at risk of diseaseAs mentioned, which can be done as follows
- Do not bite or lick your lips when your mouth is dry or cracked. Since biting the mouth can lead to bleeding and the wound heals more slowly, the saliva on the lips will wash away the moisture of the skin. Resulting in a more dry mouth
- A lip balm containing gels or ointments should be applied regularly when dry mouth occurs. By choosing products that are gentle on the skin Does not cause any irritation.
- People wearing dentures should always keep their dentures clean. Including not wearing dentures while sleeping
- Patients with oral thrush who have other health problems related to such disease as diabetes. The oral cavity should be cleaned and treated regularly. So as not to worsen the symptoms of the disease
- No smoking