Cracked mouth This is a condition where the lips are dry, flaky and may also be accompanied by burning pain. It usually occurs during cold and windy weather, as lips do not have oil-producing sebaceous glands that produce moisture like the skin. Although the condition of the mouth crack is common But severe cases can result in infection and inflammation of the lips.
Mouth cracking, commonly caused by weather conditions Lip licking And the use of certain drugs They often have the following symptoms.
- Dry lips
- Flaky lips Or scaly
- Pain, burning, swelling, or bleeding around the cracked lip
Causes of mouth cracking
Lips do not have sebaceous glands that help create oil like the skin. Thus resulting in dry and chapped lips easily The mouth crack can be caused by the following reasons
- Climate, especially in winter with low humidity and dry climates
- Licking or biting your lips
- Frequent sun exposure
- Use of certain medications and supplements, such as vitamins A, retinoids (lithium), and chemotherapy drugs
Diagnosis of chapped lips
If your mouth cracking is severe or doesn’t improve after trying self-treatment Should see a doctor for diagnosis. In which the doctor may inquire about the history of illness Medical history Lifestyle habits that can result in cracked lips The patient’s lips are examined to assess the symptoms of scaly cracks and redness that appear.
In addition, the doctor may use a cotton swab on the lips to collect flakes and send them to check for the cause of the crack, such as bacteria or fungi.
Cracked Mouth Treatment
In general, chapped lips can be treated on their own without needing medical attention. This may be done in the following way.
- Drink more water To prevent dehydration Which is one of the causes of cracked mouth
- Nourish the lips by using lip balm that contain petroleum. Or use a product that moisturizes the lips every hour
- Avoid licking your lips Because when the saliva is dry, it destroys the moisture on the lips.
- If having to go out and do activities outside on a cold day Should protect the lips by wearing a mouth mask.
- Breathe through your nose, as breathing through your mouth can cause dry and cracked lips.
- In some cases where the mouth is cracked and infected Your doctor may prescribe an antibiotic or an antifungal medication in the form of a cream. Which patients should use drugs strictly according to doctor’s orders
Complications of mouth cracking
Cracked lips can cause lips to become inflamed. Which may be caused by irritation A bacterial or fungal infection that enters the body through cracks on the lips Especially if you have an oral disease and an excessive production of saliva from the salivary glands, the risk of mouth cracking is more severe and can become inflamed.
In which patients with mouth inflammation will have the following symptoms
- Cracked mouth in the corner of the mouth And across the lips
- The lips are red or dark pink.
- Chapped lips
- The lips are peeling white.
- Have inflammatory lesions
Preventing mouth cracking
Preventing chapped lips can be easily done as follows:
- Does not bite or lick the lips Because saliva can damage the moisture on the lips, causing dry and chapped lips.
- Drink lots of fluids to prevent dehydration. And maintain the moisture of the lips
- Use a lip balm or a nourishing product that moisturizes the lips on a regular basis. By choosing to use a type of lip that has a sun protection value if you have to go out for outdoor activities And avoid using lip balms that have a smell or taste Because it may lick the lips more often
- Protect your lips by using a mouth guard if you are in very cold weather.
- Avoid using substances that cause allergic reactions, such as fragrances and dyes, chemicals in cosmetics or skin care products.
- Use a humidifier To adjust the climate in the home or office during winter