Scleroderma It is a very rare chronic skin disease. It is a disease that affects the immune system in the body. Causing the body to produce too much collagen Make the skin hard and thick Many patients are affected to subcutaneous structures such as blood vessels, internal organs and gastrointestinal tract. The symptoms will vary depending on the affected area.
In addition, women are more prone to this disease than men. And most of them happen to people between the ages of 30-50 years. It is still a disease that can not be treated. But there are a variety of methods that can help alleviate symptoms and improve the quality of life for the patient.
Symptoms of sclerosis
Symptoms of sclerosis vary according to the area in which they occur.
- Skin They are solid and thick, oval or linear. Or it may cover a wide area of the body or arms and legs. The size and location of birth vary depending on the type of disease. Additionally, the area can be shiny due to tight skin and causing discomfort to the organs in the area.
- Fingers or toes Sores or pain in the fingertips, swollen, swollen fingers turn pale or red Also known as Raynaud’s Phenomenon.
- Red spots appear on the chest and face. Also known as capillary expansion. (Telangiectasia)
- Joints are swollen or painful
- Muscle weakness
- Mouth orDry eyesAlso known as Sjogren’s Syndrome.
- Shallow breathing
- Weight loss
- Digestive system Causing acid reflux disease Which can damage the part of the esophagus near the stomach In addition, some patients may have problems absorbing nutrients. Because the intestinal muscles do not work properly
- Affect the work of the heart, lungs and kidneys, which, if untreated, can be fatal.
Causes of sclerosis Causes of sclerosis It comes from the body produces or stores too much collagen in the tissues. The collagen is a protein in the form of fibers. Which is the part that causes the connective tissue in the body Including the skin
However, doctors do not yet know exactly what caused the disorder. It is assumed that it may be related to the immune system in the body. And in some cases with genetic susceptibility The disease can be triggered by exposure to pesticides and animal drugs. Synthetic resin Or some solvent
Sclerosis diagnosis Sclerosis diagnosis Initially, the doctor will ask the patient’s health history and perform a physical exam. And because hematoma occurs in many forms and can occur in many parts of the body. A variety of diagnostic tests may be performed, including X-rays, blood tests, to look for antibodies that are made by the immune system. Or biopsy for examination (Biopsy) In addition, the doctor may have a lung function test (Pulmonary Function Tests), do computed tomography (CT Scan) of the lungs and check the heart with high frequency sound waves. (Echocardiogram) etc.
Sclerosis treatment Since the disease of the leather can not be cured. But there are ways to deal with the symptoms that occur. The doctor may use the following treatments.
- Take anti-inflammatory drugs or nosules (NSAIDs), such as ibuprofen or aspirin. It will help reduce swelling and pain.
- Steroid medicine or used to regulate the immune response It will help with problems that arise with muscles, joints or internal organs.
- Medicines to help the blood flow better to the fingers.
- Blood pressure medication That allows blood vessels to expand May help preventRe-insertBefore the lungs and kidneys And may help treat Raynaud Disease
- Medicines that help the blood vessels in the lungs expand Or protect the lung tissueDoes not cause lesions and fascia
- Colic medicine Antacids in food Or medication to treat acid reflux, such as Omeprazole
- Surgery is used as a last resort. If the patient has complications including
- Organ amputation in the case of severe finger lesions Until causing death Therefore it is necessary to cut off a finger
- Lung transplant Patients with pulmonary hypertension may need a lung transplant.
- Infection prevention Use an antibiotic ointment to clean and protect from cold air. This may help prevent infection of the finger wound. Caused by Renault In addition, the flu vaccine or pneumococcal vaccine. It can help protect lungs that can be damaged by disease.
Complications of sclerosis Complications range from mild to severe. And may affect various organs including
- Fingertip Raynaud Disease, which occurs with hard leather disease. Causing serious complications It inhibits blood flow and causes permanent damage to the membranes at the fingertips. Causing holes or sores in the skin Some may cause necrosis and may need to be removed.
- teeth In the event that the disease results in the dermis of the face, it can make the mouth smaller or narrower. May make it difficult for the patient to brush or clean the mouth. And patients with hard leather usually do not have saliva production. Therefore can cause tooth decay
- lung Can cause pulmonary fibrosis This will reduce the efficiency of lung function. Decreased breathing ability Including impairs exercise tolerance and may causeHigh pulmonary artery pressure
- heart May cause abnormal heart rhythms Or heart failure It can also cause inflammation of the vesicles around the heart, and hematoma can also increase the pressure of the right ventricle and cause damage.
- kidney If the sclerosis affects the kidneys The patient may also have elevated blood pressure and higher levels of protein in the urine. And it can also cause serious complications. Is possible acute kidney failure
- Digestive system Sclerosis can cause problems in the digestive tract. Is causing GERD and difficulty swallowing
- Sexual dysfunction Male patients are prone to erectile dysfunction. Female sex may lead to less lubrication and vaginal contraction.
Prevention of hard leather disease
Sclerosis is a disease that cannot be prevented. But there are ways to help manage symptoms or cope with them:
- Exercise to improve flexibility Increase blood circulation and reduce joint stiffness. By exercising the movement will help the skin and joints become more flexible.
- Avoid smoking Because nicotine constricts blood vessels The disease, Raynaud (Raynaud Disease) symptoms worsen in addition, smoking can cause the narrowing of the arteries permanently.
- Avoid foods that can cause colic or gas. Including avoiding eating at night And should lie on a high head level To prevent stomach acid from rising to the esophagus while sleeping Or, an antacid can be used to relieve symptoms.
- Keep your body warm Always wear gloves when exposed to cold weather. Or when going out to a cool place Should protect the head and wooden face exposed to cold air. Including wearing clothing that warms the body
In addition, the patient has to spend a daily life with hardened skin disease or whether it is any chronic disease. Often the patient has a bad mental state, so the patient may act to maintain a good mental state as follows.
- Complete your daily activities as best or as possible.
- You should know your strength. Or you should make sure you get enough rest
- Keep in touch with friends and family.
- Continue to pursue a hobby that you enjoy and your body can do.
- Some patients with severe mental or emotional problems. It may be necessary to meet with a therapist or psychologist. To create a positive attitude for yourself And help patients to practice problem-solving skills Or various relaxation techniques
- Join a group of sponsors This allows the patient to share or share their experiences and feelings with other patients.