Septic Arthritis or Arthritis due to infection. Is an infection of the tissues, joints, or synovial fluid that causes inflammation Patients may experience acute symptoms such as severe joint pain, swollen joints, and fever, etc. This condition is often caused by the transmission of bacteria or viruses from other organs that are transmitted through the bloodstream. Or it can be infected directly through an open wound, injection, or after surgery.
Septic Arthritis is most common in children, the elderly, and people with weakened immune systems. It usually occurs in just one large joint, such as the knee, hip, or shoulder.Infection arthritis rapidly and severely destroys the cartilage and bone within the joint. If left untreated, the patient may exacerbate the symptoms.
Symptoms of Septic Arthritis
People with Septic Arthritis often have different symptoms. Most of them will have severe joint pain, especially when moving. Discomfort in the joints Difficulty moving joints, swollen joints, redness, warmth in the joints. In addition, some patients may experience additional symptoms such as fever, shaking, tiredness, weakness, loss of appetite. Fast heartbeat Etc. If there is severe pain in the joints, it occurs acute Red swollen joints Feel sick Hot or shaky within a few days, you should consult a doctor for an urgent diagnosis and to prevent further damage to the joints in the area.
Causes of Septic Arthritis
Septic Arthritis occurs when germs spread from other parts of the body, such as the skin or urinary tract. Spread to the joints through the bloodstream Causing infection and inflammation in the area Some patients may also ingest pathogens from open wounds, injections, surgery on the joints or surrounding areas.
Most Septic Arthritis is caused by bacteria. Like Staphylococcus (Staphylococcus) Streptococcus (Streptococcus) Gonorrhea Including some viruses or fungi can cause this condition such as Hepatitis A B and C, Parvovirus B19, Herpes simplex virus, HIV infection, Mumps virus, Histoplasma, Fungi, Blastomycosis. (Blastomyces) etc.
Additionally, certain groups of people are at greater risk of developing this condition than others, for example:
- Young children and the elderly are more likely to develop disease than at other ages.
- People who have previously performed joint surgery People with joint problems or chronic joint diseases such as osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, gout, etc.
- People taking immunosuppressants or drugs to treat rheumatoid arthritis Because the drug suppresses the body’s immune system, making it easier for the patient to become infected
- People with weak skin or skin problems This is because germs can enter the body through often broken skin and are not treated properly. Including people with skin diseases like psoriasis Dermatitis and cutsWound infectionIt is at risk of developing Septic Arthritis as well.
- People with immunocompromised and people with cancer, diabetes, kidney disease or liver problems.
- People with joint injuries Stung by an insect Have a stab wound or cut
- People who have used intravenous drugs Drink alcohol Or smoke
Diagnosis of Septic Arthritis
Usually your doctor will ask about your health history. Existing joint symptoms or malfunctions If the patient has symptoms of infection The doctor may diagnose additional methods, such as a synovial fluid analysis in a laboratory, to look at the pathogens causing the infection. Blood tests to look for signs of infection in the bloodstream Including creating an image of internal organs such as x-rays MRI Scan Or a CT scan to examine the joint at the site of infection and assess the damage to that joint
Treatment for Septic Arthritis
Septic Arthritis can be cured if the patient is treated early, the details are as follows:
Infected synovial drainage
Infected synovial drainage will help reduce pain, swelling, and protect against damaged joints. This can be done in a number of ways at the discretion of your doctor. Each method will take different time, such as a small needle.Drill into drainage in the joint channel. A tube with a small camera attached through the skin of the joint Or open surgery, especially in the hip area, because some joints may be difficult to drain the synovial fluid with a needle or endoscopy, etc.
Treatment is most effective if used.AntibioticThat is suitable for the bacteria that cause Septic Arthritis. Initially, the doctor will be injecting antibiotics into the blood vessels to the patients in the hospital. But after the symptoms subsideThey are switched to oral medication, which takes approximately 2-6 weeks, which can cause side effects such as nausea, vomiting or diarrhea. In case it is caused by a fungal infection The doctor may prescribe an antifungal medication to the patient instead. For arthritis caused by viral infections it can go away on its own without the need for medication.
In addition, pain may be relieved by taking anti-inflammatory drugs in the tendons. Work on the joints at the infected area less often. By splinting to reduce joint movement If the infected area is an artificial joint, a joint replacement may be required. Including physical therapy to restore joint mobility and prevent stiff joints
Complications of Septic Arthritis
Delaying treatment can cause Septic Arthritis, leading to permanent degeneration of joints and joints. If a person has been infected for a long time without treatment, further and further damage to the joints will occur.If there is an acute joint deformity, see a doctor immediately for a more thorough diagnosis.
Prevention of Septic Arthritis
The way to protect yourself from Septic Arthritis is to keep yourself healthy and take care not to infect different parts of your body.
- Injured persons or with small open wounds should wash and sterilize. If there is a large wound, see your doctor to make the wound.
- People with weak or broken skin. Should apply skin care products regularly.
- People traveling to places where there are a lot of insects or animals should wear protective clothing that is adequate to prevent insect bites or bites. Or always carry mosquito or insect repellent with you
- People with certain health problems should seek treatment and follow self-care advice from a doctor. To prevent the development of various diseases or infections.
- Addicts should seek advice from the drug cessation service center. This is because intravenous drug use can lead to recurrent bacterial infections which can be life threatening.
Before each sexual intercourse should wearCondom To prevent sexually transmitted infections such as gonorrhea or chlamydia The infection can spread to joints and cause inflammation as a result.