The pungent aroma of the marker may be the main attraction for some people. Not infrequently, inhaling the scent of markers is addictive. In fact, over time the habit of kissing this marker will invite a myriad of dangers to the body.
Markers contain xylene, a dangerous chemical
The marker contains several chemicals. One of them is xylene, a chemical that has a distinctive aroma. Xylene is used not only in markers but also in many other household items, such as thinner, paints and varnishes.
Xylene is a poisonous chemical. The tiny particles allow it to enter the body when inhaled. Inhaling poison markers can have both short and long term effects. These chemicals can cause similar inhalation symptoms when people use sedatives or alcohol, the effects of which can last up to 15 to 45 minutes.
From the study results quoted from Toxicological Profile for Xylene, Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry, The short-term effects of xylene can interfere with breathing, dizziness, headaches and short-term memory loss.
While the long-term effects can cause permanent brain damage and damage to the liver, kidneys and central nervous system. Some marker brands also contain propyl alcohol which is not very toxic but can irritate the eyes, nose and throat.
The various dangers of kissing a marker
If the xylene content in the marker gets into the lungs, it can cause serious injury to the lungs or even death. If xylene is inhaled in small amounts, you may experience coughing, choking, shortness of breath, blue skin color, and a faster heart rate. Also keep in mind that these symptoms can occur immediately or within 24 hours after you smell the marker.
If it gets into the eye, what is the danger?
Vapor exposure to the eyes is the most common type of xylene vapor exposure. If the marker gets into your eyes or exposure to the xylene marker vapor hits your eyes, you may experience redness, pain, swelling of the eye bags, and blurred vision after getting the marker in your eye. All you have to do the marker hit the eyes is rinse the eyes under running water until they feel better.
If it gets on the skin, what is the danger?
If you get the marker on your skin, it may only cause slight skin irritation. However, if the marker liquid gets absorbed into the skin, it can cause effects such as redness, swelling, pain, itching and dryness. To prevent this symptom from occurring, it’s a good idea to immediately wash the area of skin affected by the marker with soap and water for at least 15 minutes after exposure. If symptoms persist, consult a doctor immediately to get the right treatment.