Brain cancer treatment can have side effects that often make your body feel weak and lose energy. Therefore, you must remain sufficient for nutrition and energy while undergoing treatment for the disease you are suffering from. So, are there certain foods that can help cure brain cancer? What healthy diet should brain cancer sufferers adopt?
Healthy food and diet for brain cancer sufferers
Not only for healthy people, implementing a good and nutritionally balanced diet is also beneficial for people with brain cancer. This healthy diet can help you fight weakness and keep your body fit and strong, so you can more easily deal with the symptoms of brain cancer and the side effects of treatment that may arise.
In addition to increasing strength and energy, there are several other benefits that brain cancer sufferers can get if you adopt a healthy diet, namely:
- Maintain ideal body weight and nutrient stores in the body.
- Reducing the risk of infection.
- Helps the healing and recovery process.
- Help process drugs that are consumed, such as chemotherapy drugs.
- Prevents constipation.
To achieve these benefits, following a healthy diet and types of food that are good for brain cancer sufferers and can help cure the disease:
1. Edamame, spinach and other dark colored vegetables that are rich in fiber and vitamins
American Brain Tumor Association said, the darker the color of a fruit or vegetable, the higher the nutrients contained in it. Vegetables and fruits that fall into this category, such as spinach or other dark leafy vegetables.
These types of vegetables and fruits contain high fiber, vitamins B and C, and iron which is good for the body. Choosing foods with high fiber can also help you deal with constipation that may arise due to the side effects of treatment.
2. Bread, cereals and pasta from whole grains as a source of carbohydrates
Eating refined carbohydrates, such as white bread, is low in nutrients and high in sugar, so they tend to be bad if consumed in excess. Instead, choose non-refined carbohydrates, such as whole grains, to get nutrients that are good for the body.
Whole grain foods actually contain high fiber, selenium, and vitamins B and E, which are good for brain cancer sufferers. These ingredients can help maintain a healthy body weight and overcome the problem of constipation as a side effect that may arise from treatment.
These whole grain foods include whole wheat bread, whole wheat cereals, or whole wheat pasta. You can also choose brown rice which is proven to contain higher fiber and lower sugar than white rice, to meet your carbohydrate needs.
3. Walnuts, canola oil and salmon as a source of healthy fats
Healthy fats, such as omega 3, can help boost the immune system to fight cancer cells and maintain a healthy weight. Therefore, you can choose foods with high omega 3 content, which can help cure brain cancer.
Some foods that contain omega 3 include flaxseeds (flaxseed), walnuts, canola oil, or certain types of fish and fish oils, such as trout, salmon, sardines, herring, and tuna. These foods also contain high levels of protein that the body needs.
4. Garlic, leeks, berries that contain phytochemicals
Phytochemicals or phytochemicals are nutrients derived from plants. The nutrients in these foods stimulate the immune system to fight cancer and have antibacterial and antiviral properties, making them good for consumption by people with brain cancer.
Some foods that are high in phytochemicals include onions, garlic, leeks, carrots, sweet potatoes, oranges, berries, seeds, tea, coffee, and cruciferous vegetables, such as broccoli, cabbage, or cauliflower.
5. Milk, cheese and yogurt which contain high calcium
Milk, cheese, and yogurt are foods and drinks that contain high calcium and are good for consumption by people with brain cancer. The high calcium is needed to maintain bone health during brain cancer treatment.
The reason is, steroid drugs that are often consumed by people with brain cancer can affect the health of your bones, especially if taken long term. Therefore, make sure your calcium needs are still met to reduce the possibility of side effects from the steroid drugs you are taking.
Tips for eating food and implementing a healthy diet for people with brain cancer
Choosing healthy foods, of course, will not necessarily help you deal with brain cancer that you suffer from. To be more optimal, you can apply the healthy eating tips below during treatment for brain cancer.
- Try to eat small portions, but often. It is better to eat 6-8 small meals a day than three large meals, to reduce the risk of nausea and vomiting.
- An empty stomach can make nausea worse, so don’t skip meals. If necessary, install a reminder alarm every 2-3 hours to eat so that the stomach is not empty.
- Avoid greasy and fatty foods because they take longer to digest.
- Avoid foods with strong odors, which can make you more nauseous.
- Drink lots of water.
- Stay active or exercise regularly.