Job Group ‘P’
Pursuant to the Constitution of Kenya (2010) and the County Government Act No. 17 of 2012, the County Government of Kakamega invites applications from suitably qualified persons to fill the following vacant position;
The Officer will be responsible to the Deputy Director, Internal Audit for the management of Internal Audit activities.
- Managing of internal audit technical activities within the Department comprising of audit systems and information technology;
- Reviewing the design, development and operation of major computer-based systems of the County to determine whether adequate controls are in place;
- Ensuring systems testing is performed at appropriate stages or systems documentation is complete, accurate and the needs of users are met;
- Identifying activities subject to audit coverage, evaluating their significance and assessing the degree of risks inherent in terms of the audit costs involved, determining adequacy and effectiveness of internal control system;
- Carrying out investigations on irregularities identified or reported in audit reports;
- Verifying and pre-auditing of Quarterly and Annual Financial Statements prepared by County Treasury for submission to the Auditor General;
- Reviewing matters raised by the Auditor General in liaison with Chief Officers;
- Reviewing audit engagement and work plans, programmes and budgets;
- Reviewing internal control systems on financial and other operations of the County Government;
- Preparation of Audit briefs, reports and follow up action;
- Supervising staff including those on the job training and maintaining high audit standards and general discipline;
- Reviewing audit findings and working papers for audit assignments;
- Reviewing records of proceedings of entry and exit meetings;
- Reviewing budgetary controls and periodical financial returns;
- Carrying out spot-checks to ensure compliance with procedures and regulations;
- Monitoring and follow-up on implementation of audit recommendations;
- Evaluating the effectiveness of risk management mechanisms, controls and governance processes
- Coaching and mentoring junior staff in the Department; and
- Any other work assigned by the supervisor
- Be a Kenyan citizen;
- Have a Master degree in any of the following fields: Auditing and Consultancy, Business Administration, Commerce, Finance, Accounting, Project Management, Risk or equivalent qualification from a recognized University;
- Bachelor’s degree in any of the following fields: Commerce (Accounting/Finance Option), Business Administration (Accounting/Finance Option) or equivalent qualification from a recognized University;
- Served in the grade of Principal Internal Auditor or comparable and relevant position for at least three (3) years;
- Certificate in Certified Public Accountant (CPA) Part III or Certified Internal Auditor (CIA) Part III or equivalent qualification from a recognized institution;
- Certificate of registration as a member of the Institute of Internal Auditors (IIA) or the Institute of Certified Public Accountants of Kenya (ICPAK) or Certified Information Systems Auditors (CISA);
- A Certificate in Computer Application from a recognized institution; and
- Certificate in Senior Management Course lasting not less than four (4) weeks or its equivalent from a recognized institution; and
- Shown merit, ability and demonstrate a high degree of professional competence in internal audit work performance and be of integrity, a team player and results oriented;
Terms of Service: Three (3) years contract Renewable contract based on agreed performance levels.
Applicants for the above positions will be required to get clearance from the following to meet requirements of chapter 6 of the constitution of Kenya 2010:-
- Kenya Revenue Authority
- Higher Education Loans Board
- Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission
- Criminal Investigation Department
Copies of these clearances MUST be attached to the applications.
How to Apply
All applicants should submit their applications together with copies of their detailed Curriculum
Vitae, Academic and Professional Certificates, Testimonials, National Identity Card or Passport,and any other supporting documents. The positions applied for should be indicated on top of the envelope.
Kakamega County residents will be required to indicate their Sub-County and Ward of origin.
Applications should be submitted to:
COUNTY PUBLIC SERVICE BOARD
P.O. BOX 458-50100
Hand delivered applications can be submitted at the County Public Service Board’s Reception located at Former Provincial Headquarters, Block ‘B’ 2nd Floor.
All applications should reach this office on or before 13th November, 2018.
County Government of Kakamega is an equal opportunity employer. Female Candidates and
Persons with Disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification.
Only Shortlisted candidates will be contacted.