Gaslighting is one of the most used tactics by emotional abusers, narcissists, and dictators. Gaslighting enables the abuser to have more power over the victim and to make the victim seem to feel like they are no longer in control of their thoughts. It makes the victim question their reality.
Some of us may be live with abusers, and yet we do not know or better yet you might be the gaslighter. The abusers are prone to use this technique slowly so that the victim does not realize that they are being brainwashed.
Gaslighters use the following techniques to get hold of their preys:
- They deny they ever said something even though they have proof. You know you heard what they said, especially if they had promised to do something. But they openly deny it. Making you question whatever you heard. The more they refute, the more you end up accepting their reality.
- They use what you love as ammunition. This is because they know they will be able to attack you when you are most vulnerable. They attack what you consider as being part of you.
- They give you positive compliments to confuse you. Most gaslighters will bring negative energy to your life, but they are still the same people who praise you for things that you do. This sort of energy leaves you confused, thinking that maybe they are not that bad. Enabling them to be part of your life, that way they keep you off-kilter, making you always question your reality.
- They look for people to be against you. They make you insecure, and you end up finding it hard to trust other people. They make comments such as,” This person knows you are wrong” or ”Everyone knows that you can’t do this”.With such comments, they make you feel like you have no one to turn it, and all you are left with is to stick with them.
- They tell you that everyone is a liar. They manipulate you into thinking that everyone around you is a liar and because they have the guts to say this to you, you end up believing that they are telling you the truth about everyone else lying.
Emotional abuse can cause psychological damage. It is good to guard your heart and to be careful about the people around you. If you seem to notice some kind of weird energy, it is good just to take a step back from any of these people. Mental health is vital, and so is your mental wellness. The more you identify gaslighters, the more it will be easy for you to avoid their traps.