At least 28 people were killed following a deadly airstrike attack on a military academy in the Libyan capital, Tripoli, on Saturday.
Tripoli, which is under the control of the internationally recognized Government of National Accord (GNA), has been facing an offensive from forces allied to military commander Gen. Khalifa Haftar’s Libyan National Army (LNA) since April.
There has been an increase in airstrikes around the nation’s capital in the past few weeks, with fears that this could escalate even further after Turkey’s parliament voted to allow a troop deployment to support the GNA.
The GNA forces described the Saturday attack as an ‘aerial bombing’ orchestrated by their eastern rivals. On the other hand, the Libyan National Army through a spokesman denied their involvement in the matter.
The attack was quite deadly, that the GNA’s Health Minister Mr. Hamid Bin Omar, told reporters that the number of the dead and of the wounded is still rising. “An air raid on the military school of Tripoli killed 28 cadets and injured dozens more,” he said.
Earlier on, the emergency service members had appealed for a temporary ceasefire in the region to allow them to retrieve bodies along the Sidra Road (an area to the South of Central Tripoli). They also wanted to help evacuate the families living there but this would not be possible, as they came into contact with heavy gunfire, so they had to withdraw.
Libya has been torn by violence and division ever since her ruler, Muammar Gaddafi was deposed and killed in 2011.
Since then, the nation has been racked by civil war, as there has not been any authority in full control.
In April last year, Gen Haftar launched an attack on Tripoli in an attempt to oust the UN-backed government.