The government on Wednesday announced a dusk-to-dawn curfew in parts of Elgeyo Marakwet, Baringo and West Pokot Counties for 30 days over insecurity concerns.
This will pave the way for security agencies to mount a security operation against banditry and deadly conflicts in the area.
Interior Cabinet Secretary Fred Matiang’i announced a massive disarmament operation which will be launched alongside social development interventions to restore order in the areas and other parts of the North Rift.
“We are beginning to draw two critical exercises that we want to do which include reorganizing deployment in that area and declaration of a curfew,” he said.
He added the operation and curfew which was gazzeted to start on June 4 was cleared by the National Security Council to have an intensive operation similar to the one launched in Marsabit.
The Marsabit one has largely been successful.
“This Order shall apply during the hours of 6.00 pm and 6.00 a.m. with effect from 4th June, 2022 and shall remain in effect for a period of 30,” the notice read in part.
It added there shall be no public gatherings, processions or movement either alone or as a group during the period of the curfew.
He said those exempted from the curfew include medical professionals and health workers, National security, administration, public health and sanitation officers in the County Governments, licensed pharmaceutical companies, pharmacies and drug stores and licensed Broadcasters and media houses.
Others include workers of Kenya Revenue Authority, Kenya Airports Authority and Licensed Civil Aviation Services Providers, Kenya Civil Aviation Authority, Kenya Airways PLC, Kenya Ports Authority and Licensed Ports Operators, Power production and distribution companies, water service providers and food and farm produce processors, distributors, distributor sales, retailers and transporters.
Licensed supermarkets, minimarkets and hypermarkets, licensed distributors, licensed banks, financial institutions and payment financial services, fire brigade and emergency response service, licensed security firms, Postal and Courier Services and Advocates of the High Court of Kenya are also exempted.
In Marakwet East Sub-County, the affected areas include entire Tot Ward composed of Kaben, Endo, Talai, Koibirir, Kibiriem, Sibow, Mokoro and Ketut.
Entire Chesongoch Ward composed of Murkutwo, Chechan ,Chemwonyo, Kibaimw, Mon and Kiptimbur will be affected.
Tirap Ward of Kipchumwa and Embobut and Kapyego Ward of Kapyego will be affected. In Marakwet West Sub-County, Arror Ward’s Chesuman will be affected.
In Baringo, Tiaty West and East, Baringo North Sub-County composed of Bartabwa Ward’s Ngorora, Kinyach, Saimosoi’s Sibiloi,Yatia will be affected.
In West Pokot, Pokot Central Sub-County’s Chesegon Ward of Cheptulel and Sigor Ward’s Masoi will be affected.
The CS last week blamed the insecurity incidences on political incitement and expressed frustrations at the lack of goodwill and cooperation from area leaders.
He compared the insecurity in Kerio Valley to the situation in Marsabit County where an ongoing security operation has restored peace.
The decision to change tack is informed by the recommendations of a special team dispatched to review the security situation in the area following the killing of three school children.
Dozens of people have been killed there and others displaced by the violence.
The approach links national and local level security operations to provide urgent interventions to address the wider political, economic and social drivers of violence.