HomeNewsCounty newsSecurity agencies restart security operations in Baringo and Turkana counties

Security agencies restart security operations in Baringo and Turkana counties

Security agencies have relaunched security operations in the Baringo and Turkana counties to flush out bandits.

Police officers and other security personnel were forced to head back to the counties for the operations following multiple attacks.

The attacks come just weeks after the Interior Ministry called off the operation in Kapedo. The decision followed a successful quelling of the chaos.

Interior CS Fred Matiang’i had also lifted the dusk to dawn security curfew (the COVID curfew remains) after the successful operation.

Operations to extend to Laikipia

However, on Tuesday, Rift Valley Commissioner George Natembeya said they were to resume the operation today (Wednesday). They would now extend the operations from Baringo to Turkana East and parts of Laikipia West.

“Our officers are going back to Baringo, and this time, the operation will hit hard,” Natembeya had said, “We had scaled down operations last month, but attacks have since resumed.”

He added that interventions by political leaders from Baringo, Turkana and West Pokot counties had failed to bring the needed peace.

The Kapedo attacks

Early this year, clashes broke out in Kapedo as bandits and local communities clashed. The bandits soon killed a GSU Commander, Tebakol Emadau. The bandits killed him at Kapedo, which borders Baringo and Turkana. Following his death, the government then launched a security operation on January 18th.

They also killed area Chief Inspector of Police, Moses Lekairab and his driver at the Amayan Bridge.

The attacks will often result in cattle rustling, with Natembeya confirming that the bandits stole over 200 cattle in the past two days. The attacks happened in Mukutani, Lokori, Mochongoi and Arabal.

Peace campaigns fail

Area leaders, including Governors John Lonyangapuo (West Pokot) and Stanely Kiptis (Baringo) and Baringo Senator Gideon Moi, had met with Interior Ministry last month. They requested for halting of the security operation to give way to peace campaigns.

However, after continued attacks, Natembeya said they had no option but to resume the operations.

Related news

Trending