Home News COVID-19 funds have been stolen, stashed in overseas accounts – Ex Machakos...

COVID-19 funds have been stolen, stashed in overseas accounts – Ex Machakos Senator Muthama boldly claims

Former Machakos County Senator Johnson Muthama has made a bold claim stating that Covid-19 emergency supplies fund that has billions of shillings and was meant to cushion Kenyans during the pandemic has been stolen.

Speaking at a press conference together with former Kakamega Senator Boni Khalwale and former Mombasa Senator Hassan Omar, the outspoken former Senator challenged the government to explain to Kenyans how the money was being used.

He added that the money had been stashed in offshore accounts. He claimed that the top officials were now diverting the attention of Kenyans from the theft of the funds to politics of 2022.

He added that the government should not ask for more funds from donors before disclosing how the funds were used.

“This is the money that was intended to cushion Kenyans against this disease. But it has been stolen and stashed in overseas accounts. They are now diverting the attention of Kenyans from the theft of COVID-19 funds to the politics of 2022. But what we are saying is, let the government make full disclosure on how the funds were used before soliciting the same from donors,” he stated.

On Thursday 13 August, Treasury Cabinet Secretary Ukur Yatani appeared before the National Health Committee and disclosed that the government had received a total of Khs. 134 billion from bilateral and multilateral partners.

He revealed that the Ministry of Health had not spent a cent from the emergency supplies fund.

“The National Treasury has so far received Sh134.0 billion for the fight against Covid-19 from various bilateral and multilateral development partners out of which Sh130.4 billion was disbursed. The balance will be utilised in the current financial year for continued Covid-19 pandemic interventions,” he told the Committee.

The fund was set up by President Uhuru Kenyatta in March this year to help the government cushion Kenyans as after COVID-19 hit the country in March.

Related news

Parents anxious about increased school fees ahead of schools reopening

The Covid-19 Education Response Committee recently came to the conclusion that 19th October should be the date for schools reopening. Following the recent debates...

President Kenyatta interacts with traders after a surprise visit at Mama Ngina waterfront

On Sunday evening, President Uhuru Kenyatta wowed residents of Mombasa after making a surprise visit to Mama Ngina waterfront. During his tour, the Head of...

Woman who gave birth outside Pumwani hospital narrates her ordeal in tears

Jackline Faustina, a mother of three, never in her life imagine that she would become a victim of the broken healthcare system in Kenya. Mrs...

FOLLOW US

15,775FansLike
3,541FollowersFollow

Popular Stories

DCI boss Kinoti speaks after Kakamega County Senator Malala claimed his...

Directorate of Criminal Investigations boss George Kinoti has responded after Kakamega County Senator Cleophas Malala claimed that his life was in danger. Speaking before the...

Former Agriculture CS Kiunjuri warns politicians against depending on DP Ruto...

Former Agriculture Cabinet Secretary Mwangi Kiunjuri has warned politicians not to rely on Deputy President William Ruto to finance their political campaigns. Kiunjuri who said...

Universities urged to prepare for phased re-opening

The Ministry of Education has asked Universities to kick off repair plans as a measure of preparation for phased reopening. Amb Simom Nabukwesi, Principal Secretary...

Murkomen exposes plot to evict Senator Malala

Elgeyo Marakwet Senator Kipchumba Murkomen revealed a plan to oust the Kakamega Senator Cleophus Malala from his Deputy Minority leader position in the Senate. The...

General Badi speaks on the lunar park demolitions, lashes out at...

On 16th September Nairobi Metropolitan Service (NMS) Director-General Mohammed Badi held a press conference at Lunar park, Nairobi to explain the ongoing demolitions. However,...

Magoha releases new health guidelines for school reopening

Education Cabinet Secretary Professor George Magoha has released the new health guidelines for reopening primary and secondary schools. The new protocol outline measures basic measures...
Loading...