Home News County News Governor Joho found guilty of contempt of court

Governor Joho found guilty of contempt of court

Mombasa County Governor Hassan Joho is guilty of contempt of court by demolishing property.

This is according to the High Court of Mombasa.

High Court Judge Justice Silas Munyao ordered that the governor appears before him to mitigate before he can sentence him to six months in civil jail.

He also summoned MCA Changamwe Benard Ogutu, who, together with governor Joho, demolished the multi-million property belonging to Mombasa mogul Ashok Doshi.

“Having heard the facts and submission of the matter, the court finds both Governor Hassan Joho and his accomplice MCA Benard Ogutu guilty of disobeying the court orders. I, therefore, direct the two to appear before this court to mitigate before sentencing,” said Justice Munyao.

According to the Judge, the court orders were stopping Governor Joho from trespassing, interfering, and demolishing the multi-million property in Changamwe belonging to Mr. Doshi.

This is after the tycoon filed a suit in court seeking to have the governor arrested and jailed for six months over allegations of contempt of court.

Doshi’s lawyer told the court that on March 6, 2019, Lady Justice Ann Amollo gave orders barring the County Government of Mombasa from interfering with the suit through a consent which he and county government lawyers wrote.

The Mombasa County boss had accused the Mombasa mogul of grabbing land claiming belongs to Changamwe Secondary School and vowed to reposes it back to the institution.

He further revoked a portion that he alleged the former Mombasa Municipal council allocated to Turf Developers Limited, the original owners of the land in question before Doshi acquired it from them.

Doshi also wants Jaffar Mosheh, the County Chief Officer Lands Physical Planning and Housing jailed for taking part in the demolitions.

The governor had a month ago also found himself on the wrong side of the law after the Senate summoned him for running a dysfunctional government, which is a violation of the law.

The senate devolution committee, which was chaired by Laikipia Senator John Kinyua, said Joho’s continued operation without a cabinet was against the law.

“Though the law doesn’t clearly state the time limit for replacement, the governor should have nominated other people and forward the names to the County Assembly for approval.” Said Kinyua.

15,262FansLike
3,446FollowersFollow

NEWS JUST IN

Kenyan star Esse Akida makes debut in Besiktas 8-0 win

Kenyan International Esse Mbeyu Akida made her debut for Besiktas as they hammered Amed Sportif Faaliyetler'i 8-0 in a Turkish Women's First Football League...

Export Processing Zone to be set up in Voi

An  Export Processing Zone (EPZ)  centre will be set up at  Ndii area in Voi sub-county by the Taita Taveta County Government. Residents of Voi...

Gor Mahia stage comeback to see off spirited Zoo

Kenya Premier League defending Champions Gor Mahia bounced back to winning ways after coming from behind twice to beat resilient Zoo FC 3-2 at...

Safaricom’s Zuri chatbot is now available on WhatsApp

Safaricom’s plan to automate their customer service seems to take greater steps each coming day.  The Zuri chatbot is now available on Whatsapp. Previously, Zuri was...

10 cancer patients ejected from Kenyatta National Hospital due to blood shortage

Ten cancer patients from the Kenyatta National Hospital have been released due to lack of blood as the facility lacks enough supply. The patients told...

Meru hosts historic run, AK to include it in annual calendar

Meru County hosted the first-ever historic athletic event and Emanuel Bor from Nandi County emerged the winner in the 12km elite men’s race. Purity Gitonga...

Gor Mahia, Zoo FC team news ahead of Kericho clash

Gor Mahia FC and Zoo FC have released their respective squads ahead of the face-off at Green Stadium Kericho on Sunday afternoon. Zoo FC have...

National Government urged to deal locust before hitting uncontrollable numbers

The National Government has been urged to act swiftly and deal with locusts which have now invade nearly 70 per cent of the country.  Speaking...
Loading...