Mwangi Kiunjuri has been sacked by President Uhuru Kenyatta as the Agriculture Cabinet Secretary. The news was announced by the President on the new raft of changes to his cabinet on Tuesday morning.
Critics have claimed that the move was long overdue following Kiunjuri’s recent pronouncements against the much-hyped Uhuru and Raila-backed BBI (Building Bridges Initiative).
“He keeps talking about 2022 which the President, who is his boss, has warned about. He is talking of a government that will be created as though he does not believe in the current one in which he serves. He is basically preparing ground for crying foul when he is finally sacked,” Nyeri Town MP Ngunjiri Wambugu told the media concerning Kiunjuri.
In the new changes, Peter Munya takes over from Kiunjuri as the new Cabinet Secretary for Agriculture.
Other changes that were announced have seen Mutahi Kagwe picked as the new Cabinet Secretary for Health while Sicily Kariuki has been taken to head the scandal-ridden water ministry.
The Head of State also picked Betty Maina to take over the Industrialisation docket as Simon Chelugui moved to the Labour Ministry.
Rachel Omamo has been reassigned to Foreign Affairs while Monica Juma now heads the defense docket. Ukur Yatani has been officially confirmed as the CS for Finance. Other Cabinet Secretaries that have maintained their posts include:
- Dr. Fred Matiang’i (Interior)
- Adan Mohammed (East African Community and Northern Corridor Development)
- Amina Mohammed (Sports, Culture and Heritage)
- Charles Keter (Energy)
- Eugene Wamalwa (Devolution)
- James Macharia (Transport)
- Joe Mucheru (ICT)
- Najib Balala (Tourism)
- Prof. George Magoha (Education)
- Farida Karoney (Lands)
- Keriako Tobiko (Environment)
- John Munyes (Petroleum and Mining)
- And Margaret Kobia (Public Service).
Other changes announced are as follows:
- Hussein Dado- CAS Interior
- Ntutu Patrick- CAS Labour
- Tuimur Andrew-CAS Water
- Peter Odoyo- CAS Defense
- Maureen Mbaka- CAS ICT
- Winnie Guchu- CAS, State Law Office
- Lina Kilimo- CAS, Agriculture