Kenyatta National Hospital (KNH) has been put on the spot for burying a woman going by the name of Sebanzia Kilong at the Langata cemetery without notifying her family.
The family of the late Sebanzia learned last week that she had been buried at the cemetery after months of painfully searching for her.
Sabenzia, who comes from Bungoma but was living and working as a hawker in Nairobi, was admitted to KNH on Sunday 20 December 2020 but succumbed to her illness on Monday 28 in the same month.
According to her sister Joy, the family visited the hospital several times while looking for their relative but the facility denied that no one going by that name had been admitted there.
“We visited Kenyatta several times looking for her both manually and in their records, and they told us that they did not admit anyone by that description,” she said.
The family later turned to the Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI) for help who investigated the matter only to trace her phone to KNH.
The DCI detectives then wrote to KNG inquiring for information on Sebanzia Kilong’s whereabouts since their investigation indicated that the hospital was the last place her mobile phone was chimed.
The family said that the DCI detectives told them that Sebanzia had been admitted to the hospital under unclear circumstances.
After being exposed, KNH has gone on to admit that Sebanzia was indeed admitted to the hospital where she succumbed to her illness.
In a statement, the facility said that they followed the Ministry of Health guidelines under the Public Health Act Cap 242 Laws of Kenya which recommends that a body should be removed from the mortuary within two weeks and thereafter disposed of.
KNH added that the Sebanzia’s body had stayed in the hospital for more than four months, unclaimed, and later released for burial on April 27, 2021.
The hospital noted that they understand the immense loss and emotional toll the death of a loved one causes, and they would like to extend their sincere condolences to the family of Sebenzia Kilong.
KNH went on to point out that while it remains open and invites any further information, at present all indications are that the hospital followed all due procedures in admission, hospital care, farewell admission, and finally burial of the deceased.