President Uhuru Kenyatta, on Monday, said the cessation of movement in and out of Nairobi had ended. He also lifted the ban in the counties of Mombasa and Mandera, which would lapse on Tuesday at 4 am.
“I direct and order that the cessation of movement into and out of the Nairobi Metropolitan area, Mandera and Mombasa County, shall lapse at 4 am on Tuesday,” said President Kenyatta.
While addressing the nation at Harambee house, the Head of State said Kenya had met some reasonable preparedness in dealing with the covid-19 pandemic, hence his decision to reopen the country in phases.
However, the President extended the dusk to dawn curfew by another 30 days.
On compliance and safety protocols, services providers operating in the three counties will have to get approval from the Ministry of Health.
“There shall be no movement of public vehicles in and out of areas previously under movement restrictions without the public transport providers being compliant with all protocols developed by the ministry of health. To operate PSVs, vehicle owners must obtain a certification from the Ministry of Health, in consultation with the Ministry of Transport,” added Mr. Kenyatta.
However, the President warned that despite opening the country, if the situation worsens within the coming 21 days, he would impose lockdown once more.
Following the lift on cessation, officials in government and the Ministry of Health will observe the covid-19 infection patterns. In case things worsen, the President said Kenya would revert to lockdown.
During his address, President Uhuru Kenyatta asked Kenyans to exercise cautious optimist and steer off reckless abandon.
He added after opening up Nairobi, Mandera, and Mombasa, the risk of transmission might increase.
President Uhuru Kenyatta said he had to make a tough decision with his team for the good of the country’s economy despite the health crisis.
He said although experts advised they had not met the 100 percent irreducible minimums to reopen, the situation was manageable at county levels.