Home News Africa news World Bank pledges $ 500 million to fight locusts

World Bank pledges $ 500 million to fight locusts

The World Bank has pledged $ 500 million to fight locust in East Africa and the Middle East.

David Malpass, President of the World Bank, announced that the pledge would mix grants and loans. This move, he said, was in a bid to avert the crisis unfolding in the region.

Worst invasion

So far, East African countries are battling locusts in addition to COVID-19 and floods. The COVID-19 pandemic has slowed down efforts to fight locusts that had started from late February.

The current locust invasion the worst in the region in 70 years and has affected 23 countries so far.

The locusts are decimating food that would leave over 22.5 million people in the region facing food insecurity. They will also leave behind substantial economic devastation, with World bank putting the damage at $ 8.5 billion if interventions are not comprehensive.

East Africa to get $ 160 million

In the breakdown of the figure, World Bank said that $ 160 million would go to Djibouti, Kenya, Ethiopia, and Uganda. However, the list did not include Somalia, which is also hard hit by the invasion.

The swarm of billions of locusts is entering its second wave as the new generation of locusts matures, with their figures 20 times the initial wave.

The first wave entered the region in mid-December, with Kenya experiencing its invasion towards the end of December.

Kenya

The swarms made an appearance in at least 25 counties, with the new swarm, laid in Samburu and Isiolo regions, now beginning to consume food in the area.

However, so far, the wind has kept them from travelling southwards. But this could spell doom for farmers in the affected regions.

The intervention from the World Bank comes when all countries are now diverting their resources towards fighting COVID-19.

Economic activity has slowed down in almost all countries. The pledge would be critical in averting a food crisis, especially since not much is going on to cover for the losses.

15,675FansLike
3,462FollowersFollow

NEWS JUST IN

The truth about Rachael Ruto fleeing from home

Kenyans on social media shared a photo believed to be The Standard newspaper cover for the Wednesday, May 27, 2020 issue. The photo went viral...

Mauritius confirms two COVID-19 cases after 28 virus-free days

Mauritius has confirmed two COVID-19 cases 28 days after its last positive case of the virus. The Island of Mauritius has become an epitome of...

Jimmy Githinji, popular Kikuyu musician, dies in road crash

Popular Kikuyu musician, Jimmy Githinji Wanyuni has reportedly died in a road accident last night. According to reports, the Benga musician died in the late-night...

Kindiki’s appeal to President Kenyatta following his ouster

Days after the Jubilee party ousted Kithure Kindiki from his position of Senate Deputy Speaker, Kindiki has returned with an appeal. On Tuesday 26th...

Raila says referendum must take place this year

On Tuesday, ODM party leader Raila Odinga gave strong hints indicating the country will hold a referendum before the end of the year. This move...

Murkomen rejects his new role in Senate

Days after the Jubilee party ousted Murkomen from his position of Senate majority leader; the party offered him a role as a member of...

Ole Kina’s meeting with Raila puts him back in ODM good books

The former Prime Minister Raila Odinga forgave Narok Senator Ledama ole Kina after the two had a meeting. Moreover, Raila directed the party's Senate leadership,...

Moha Jicho Pevu calls out Joho for faking parliament meeting

Nyali Member of Parliament Mohamed Ali, commonly known as Moha Jicho Pevu, on Tuesday the 26th of May 2020, exposed Mombasa Governor Ali Hassan...
Loading...