Home World News International news First person to receive partial face transplant in the USA dies

First person to receive partial face transplant in the USA dies

Connie Culp, 57, died today at the age of 57, the first person to receive a partial face transplant in the United States.

The revolutionary operation took place in December 2008 – according to the medical team, the death was caused by an infection unrelated to the transplant.

“She was a great pioneer, and her decision to undergo an intimidating procedure is an eternal gift for all of humanity,” doctor Frank Papay, a member of the team who performed the transplant, told The Associated Press.

In 2004, Connie Culp’s husband shot him in the face in an assassination attempt followed by suicide. He spent seven years in prison, and the woman had a broken nose and jaw. She also lost most of her vision.

Even after 30 surgeries, she was unable to eat solid foods, breathe autonomously or smell smells. Upon seeing her features, children ran and called her “monster”.

The implantation of the “new” face lasted 22 hours. It was the fourth partial transplant in the world, and the largest so far: 80% of her face was replaced with bones, muscles, nerves, skin and blood vessels from donor Anna Kasper, who died after a heart attack.

Connie Culp’s experience paved the way for the first total face transplant, which took place two years later in the United States.

*With Associated Press information

Related news

Lost child survives for 19h in the company of dogs in Argentina

Argentine police today located the 9-year-old boy who spent 7pm lost in Posadas, in the province of Misiones.Bruno Chamorro was found at...

Coronavirus: Florida, USA has fewer new cases in one month

Florida recorded, on Sunday, the lowest number of daily deaths from coronavirus in almost three weeks and the lowest number of cases...

Italy isolates 2 cruise ships after cases of covid-19 on board

The Italian government decided on Sunday (2) to isolate two cruise ships, docked in the port of Civitavecchia, 80 kilometers from Rome,...

Deserted haunted house in Ruiru breaks internet after horrifying stories emerge

Majini, Masheito, and masonic are some of the names Kenyans use to refer to dark supernatural powers. Although shunned, these practices continue to happen...

Man loses penis due to infection and limb is reconstructed in...

Briton Malcolm MacDonald, 45, is between hope and a drama that has lasted for years. After losing his penis due to...

I don’t trust my wife but I love her so much...

Celebrated Milele FM radio show presenter Alex Mwakideu has revealed that despite loving his wife, he does not trust her. While appearing on Dr.King’ori’s Wicked...

Government speaks after Tanzania bans Kenyan flights from landing into the...

Foreign Affairs Chief Administrative Secretary Ababu Namwamba on Friday 1 August 2020 made it clear that the relationship between Kenya and Tanzania was indispensable. This...

FOLLOW US

15,746FansLike
3,484FollowersFollow

NEWS JUST IN

Ben Kitili’s wife Amina Mude regrets disclosing her marital problems to...

Ben Kitili's Muslim wife, Amina Dube, has revealed that she deeply regrets sharing her marital problems with the public as her actions exposed her...

Senate suspends physical meeting following rise in Covid-19 cases

The Kenyan Senate has suspended physical meetings for 30 days in the House to avert the spread of Covid-19. The Senate Speaker Kenneth Lusaka noted...

CS Magoha’s warning to lecturers after Ken Ouko’s death

Cabinet Secretary of Education Professor George Magoha has sent a warning to lectures and all teachers regarding non-adherence to the government’s Covid-19 prevention directives...

Ann-prepared: Kirinyaga Deputy Governor, Peter Ndambiri says county not ready to...

Kirinyaga County Deputy Governor, Peter Ndambiri has expressed concerns about the county’s preparedness to deal with COVID-19. The news comes after the Health Ministry pointed...

Uhuru’s allies go after Gideon Moi accuse him of reluctance to...

A section of President Uhuru Kenyatta allies has gone in hard on Baringo Senator Gideon Moi accusing him of influencing appointments in lucrative posts...

Ministry of health clarifies there is no Covid-19 case in Samburu

The Ministry of Health, through Director-General Dr. Patrick Amoth, has clarified that Samburu county has not recorded coronavirus cases. Contrary to earlier reports, Dr. Amoth...
Loading...