Home World News International news U.S. plans to conduct first nuclear test in nearly 30 years, newspaper...

U.S. plans to conduct first nuclear test in nearly 30 years, newspaper says

The government Trump has discussed the possibility of conducting the first nuclear test since 1992 as a warning to Russia and China, reported the Washington Post, which could represent a break from the defense policy pursued so far by the country.

According to the American newspaper, which quotes a senior government official and two former officials, all on condition of anonymity, the discussion of this possibility occurred during a meeting held last May 15.

This came after U.S. officials claimed russia and China are conducting nuclear tests. Moscow and Beijing denied it, and Washington provided no evidence of its allegations.

For the top government official quoted by the Washington Post, demonstrating that the United States is capable of conducting a test “quickly” would be a useful negotiating tactic as Washington tries to conclude a three-way agreement with Russia and China on nuclear weapons.

The meeting ended without a decision, and sources differ on the future of the discussions.

For Beatrice Fihn of the International Campaign to Abolish Nuclear Weapons (ICAN), the group that won the 2017 Nobel Peace Prize, a U.S. nuclear test could “lead us to a new Cold War.”

“This would also end any possibility of avoiding a new nuclear arms race. It would end the global structure for arms control,” he said in a statement.

The government Trump made decisions that have shaken American defense policy on numerous occasions.

This information from the Washington Post was published after the U.S. president announced his intention to withdraw the U.S. from the Open Skies Treaty after accusing Russia of violating it.

The treaty, which entered into force in 2002, authorizes signatory countries to conduct observation flights over the territories of other states to verify military movements.

It is the third international defense agreement that the President Trump decides to withdraw the United States. Earlier, the pact with Iran’s nuclear program, denounced in 2018, and the INF treaty on medium-range ground missiles, which it left in 2019, were dropped.

15,690FansLike
3,462FollowersFollow

NEWS JUST IN

Kenyans demand justice for a badly beaten up man by police

Kenyans have taken to twitter demanding justice for one Samuel Maina after photos of him bleeding circulated the internet. From the picture, he had...

Agitated family members accuse Ministry of Health officials of ‘rejecting’ Covid-19 body

Agitated family members on Friday evening, May 30 took the body of their kin, who died of Covid-19 to a police station in Kangema. The...

MET warns Kenyans to expect more rainfall

The meteorological department has warned the return of torrential rainfall in the western part of the country starting June. As a result, there's going to...

Gladys Shollei dares the president to oust her from the National Assembly Committee

Uasin Gishu Woman Representative Gladys Shollei has challenged President Uhuru Kenyatta to eject her from the National Assembly Committee, saying that the president is...

Kenya beats UK to top global position

Kenya, through the stewardship of President Uhuru Kenyatta, has triumphed over other countries and managed to scoop herself a leadership position at the Open...

Don’t pray for me, prayers don’t work – K24 news anchor Eric Njoka says

K24 news anchor Eric Njoka has disclosed that he is not okay and will not be for a while urging his fans not to...

Meet the Kenyan who made White house go on lock down after mobilizing blacks to burn it down

White House was on panic mode after a netizen mobilized blacks in America to burn it down. What strikes many is that it was...

Former K24 Chief Editor response after claims he was rejoining Citizen TV

Former K24 Chief Editor Peter Opondo has responded to claims that he will be going back to join Citizen TV almost three years after...
Loading...