U.S. military officials are debating conducting the first nuclear weapons test in 28 years revealed on Saturday by the English newspaper The Guardian. The publication said it would be a way to pressure Russia and China to build an agreement between the three countries for arms control.
According to the English newspaper, the matter was discussed at a meeting between deputies and national security officials at the White House on May 15. But the proposal had no consensus and there were some participants who showed resistance to the resumption of nuclear tests.
Since Donald Trump assumed the presidency, the United States left three arms control agreements. The most recent was last week, when it was announced that the country will no longer be part of the Open Skies Treaty. The claim is that Russia would not have complied with the terms of the agreement that allows the verification of military movements and arms restriction measures of the signatory countries.
“Russia did not respect the treaty,” he said Trump on Thursday before continuing. “As long as they don’t respect it, we’re going to retire,” he added.
The possibility of resumption of nuclear tests by the United States has been criticized by experts in the country itself. The initiative would open up the possibility of Russia and China also starting tests, said Hans Kristensen, director of nuclear affairs at the American Federation of Scientists.
“This is completely insane. They must be getting desperate. What can certainly happen is to put pressure on China and all other countries with nuclear weapons to test as well. How can anyone in their right mind think that this would be aligned with the security interests of the United States and its allies,” Concluded Hans Kristensen.