The Norwegian police clarified, this Monday, that the five victims of the attack perpetrated last week were stabbed, thus dispelling the initial thesis that the deaths had been caused by a bow and arrows.
According to police, the suspect in the attack, a 37-year-old Danish citizen, is presumably lost or thrown away the bow and arrows as he walked through the streets of Kongsberg, a small town with about 25,000 inhabitants, where the attack took place last Wednesday, which also left three wounded.
“At one point the suspect threw away or lost his bow and arrows,” Inspector Per Thomas Omholt said at a press conference, adding: “In the Hyttegata area, killed five people with knives, both in private and public spaces”.
Police initially reported that the suspect, identified as Espen Andersen Brathen, was armed with a bow and arrows and two other melee weapons, but did not specify the nature of the weapons for the purpose of the investigation.
“Everything indicates that these victims were killed at random“, said the same inspector.
According to police, more than a dozen people were also shot by the suspect with the bow and arrows, but none suffered fatal injuries.
Suspect of Islamic radicalization, Espen Andersen Brathen, who was placed in preventive detention in a medicalized institution for a period of four weeks, the first two of which were in total isolation, he admitted during interrogations that he had committed the attack and had killed five people and wounded three more.
Last Friday, the Norwegian police said that the investigation of the attack, until that date, reinforced the thesis of an act committed due to illness.
“As to why, the disease remains the main hypothesis. As far as converting to Islam is concerned, that hypothesis is weakened,” added Per Thomas Omholt.
A psychiatric evaluation is underway to determine whether or not the suspect can be held criminally responsible for his actions.
On Saturday, Norwegian police identified the five fatalities, four women and one man, aged between 52 and 78 years.